Warning:

If you know me you know I am a wordy person, I always have a story to tell and I want moments fully documented. I want my kids to look back and have all the details, you can think of this site as our family journal, or more importantly the momma diary.

Friday, June 6, 2008

Wed. June 4, 2008- Out of Africa

On Wednesday we took a little family trip 90 minutes north of Phoenix to Out of Africa, we had a great time. It is similar to Bear World in Idaho only much larger and has safari animals as well as bears. We went first to a snake show where they talked and showed you two different kinds of snakes. Then they allowed everyone who wanted to to come in and touch the snakes. Now everyone that knows me knows that I am beyond terrified of snakes. I won't even go in the snake house at the zoo. I am the type that if I saw a snake in the wild I would pee my pants, burst into tears and probably pass out. My only experience with snakes has been with poisonous snakes in North Carolina. So guess what? I went in the gate!!! I was literally standing within 5 feet of these snakes. Brent went over and touched the first one and I told Katrena to go by Dad and she could touch one too. And she said no, so I knew I had to be an example, so drum roll please... Yes, I Kimberly Ann North not only touched a 12 foot python, but also a 7 foot boa!!! My husband told me how proud he was that I even went in there, let alone touched a snake. Unfortunately there are no pictures of this, but Brent and Katrena will vouch for me and Brent says he got it on video.

Next we walked around and saw some of the animals and then went to hear someone talk about the cougar and black bears. And then went to a Tiger Splash show where the workers are actually playing with the tigers. It was very cool to watch. Then we went on a safari ride where Katrena fed a camel and a giraffe and we saw many different types of antelope, a goat, zebras, ostriches, etc. Brent fed the giraffe by putting the treat in his own mouth, he was rewarded with a tongue kiss from the giraffe, see video below. When the safari was done we took the tram back to the animals where we walked along beside the feed truck to watch them feed all the animals raw meat. They do not feed any animals any living animals. Thank goodness, this includes the snakes. (I forgot to mention the yellow python had not eaten in 3 months, by choice.) The hyenas were hilarious to watch eat, they laugh when they want to attack. While waiting for their food they were laughing like crazy. Now, the gross part. I overheard a worker saying that they were feeding the lions a horses head!!! gross!!! and sure enough you could see the ears and mouth. We all lost our appetite after that. It was a wonderful hot day.

Lion guarding his horses head...


Brent and Katrena on the safari ride...


2 week old zebra named Mirage...




Camel, Katrena fed...



black ostrich...



tram ride, Trena and mom...



Entrance sign...




12 foot banana python...



Laughing hyenas




One of the many tigers, I forgot to mention they like to pee on you through the fence...



Tiger Splash, tiger jumping through the air...


3 comments:

nathansara said...

That is totally awesome. It looks like you guys had a great time. Aimee wasn't to sure about Brent and the Giraffe in our clip below. Thanks for sharing.

nathansara said...

Sorry I meant YOUR clip... oopps!

Brent said...

^^^^ You also meant "TOO sure"