Warning:

If you know me you know I am a wordy person, I always have a story to tell and I want moments fully documented. I want my kids to look back and have all the details, you can think of this site as our family journal, or more importantly the momma diary.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Katrena is learning to cook...

Katrena has had some difficulty lately with finishing her food. Something we did not have a problem with in the past. Some nights she will sit at the table for 2 hours, just willing me to give up and give in. I don't. So then we tried the whole, if you have not finished eating in 30 minutes you have to go to bed rule, didn't work. She kept asking if it had been 30 minutes and if she could just go to bed.

I have had talks with her about the fact that she is lucky that she has a mom who is willing and able to cook her a good wholesome meal every night. I am not tooting my own horn, it just seems to be becoming more and more of a rarety. And I want to teach respect for adults, myself included. Sorry back to my story. So I finally decided that maybe if she had to take the time to prepare the meal once a week, she would appreciate the time and effort that goes in to her dinner a little more.

So here she is preparing her first meal on 11/11/08, (no worries family, I was right there the whole time, no cut fingers, no burns). She made taco pizza's. They were fun and yummy too. She cut up veggies, cooked the meat, and made beans with tomatoes and cilantro. She then loaded meat, veggies and cheese onto tostado's and slid them into the oven to bake. She was a little to nervous to pull them out and so was I, so mom took over that part.

Here she is cutting the tomatoes.


and cooking the ground turkey.



She's up again saturday night.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Susan said...

So did doing the cooking encourage her to eat it? Has it helped?

Kate said...

Great idea. Gwen likes helping me cook, but she's so young that most of the time it makes more work, especially because Tai then wants to be included, that's just too many little hands to watch. Hopefully though the willingness to help won't wear off and when she's older I can really put her to work. :)

Carla said...

Great idea to get her involved. Did it work? We've had those days where the girls won't eat (or eat everything in the house)....maybe just a phase they go through? Either way...they always seem to live and have energy. (where do they get it?)

Good luck!
:)carla

tessa said...

Genius I tell you. Is that why my mom made us all cook a day of the week growing up? I never even thought of it that way. I'm tucking this idea away for later!

*Ashley* said...

What a wonderful idea! Is it helping? She looks so cute in her little apron. Mmm, pizza tacos, eh? Sounds good to me.

stephanie and mikayla said...

nice cookin